On behalf of Lisa Keller and Dan O’Hara,
Dear Champlain College Faculty and Staff,
We are reaching out to you today to tell you about the Champlain College Chapter of the National Society of Leadership and Success. As co-advisors of Champlain’s chapter, we wanted to send along information to you to help you assess which of our students you would recommend to join our chapter.
The National Society of Leadership and Success, Sigma Alpha Pi, is the largest collegiate leadership honor society in the United States, with nearly 500 chapters and more than 525,000 members nationwide. Since the Champlain College chapter’s founding in 2015, we have had a total of 164 members join on our campus.
Sigma Alpha Pi is available to a limited number of students, and nominated students have earned this honor because of their academic accomplishment and leadership potential. Their candidacy is a nationally recognized achievement of honorable distinction.
In addition to honoring excellence, Sigma Alpha Pi distinguishes itself by providing members access to a five-step leadership program on campus. During this process, students will develop skills that will drive their success beyond the classroom and into the next phase of their lives as professionals or graduate students. The program will provide students access to education from some of America’s top leaders including Rudy Giuliani, Arianna Huffington, Common, Carly Fiorina, and many others.
This past Fall was our first semester having the NSLS on Champlain’s campus and since then we are so excited to have inducted 133 members to our society. These inducted members are Champlain College students who signed up to be part of the NSLS, attended an Orientation Session on campus, participated in a Leadership Training Day on campus, attended at least 3 Speaker Broadcasts, and participated in at least 3 Success Networking Teams meetings. More information about the programs our students participated in can be found here: https://www.societyleadership.org/about/aboutus/program.
As faculty and staff members on Champlain College’s campus, we know that you have had the opportunity to get to know students on a more personal level. At this time, we are asking you to consider those students whom you think are potential leaders on Champlain College’s campus, whom may not otherwise see themselves as leaders but just need the right encouragement and support, and whom you think would benefit from a structured community that encourages community action, volunteerism, personal growth, and strong leadership from its chapters and members.
We have also included some frequent questions and answers below:
- What is the National Society of Leadership and Success?
- The Society is the nation’s largest leadership honor society. Students are selected by their college for membership based on either academic standing or leadership potential. Candidacy is a nationally recognized achievement of honorable distinction. With over 475 chapters, the Society currently has over 475,000 members nationwide.
- In addition to honorable distinction, the Society provides a step-by-step program for members to build their leadership skills through participation at their campus or online. Upon completion of the program, members receive their leadership certificate and take their place among the top student leaders at their campus and across the country. Members are able to list their affiliation on all statements of personal accomplishment, including their resume.
- Membership is for life and provides access to benefits including scholarships and awards, exclusive on-campus events, employer recruitment through an online job bank, and discounts on computers, textbooks, grad school prep courses, insurance and much more.
- How much is membership to the Society?
- Society members pay a one-time registration fee of $85 when applying to join the organization. The fee includes all membership benefits, partner discounts and a lifetime membership. Membership does not expire or need renewing.
- What are the benefits of joining the Society and what does membership fee cover?
- As explained on the membership application, once a student has completed the steps to become an official member of the Society, their membership items are sent to their local chapter leaders to present to them during the induction ceremony. Their membership kit includes a t-shirt, certificate, car decal, pin, and plaque (if purchased during registration).
- The intangibles that students gain from membership will drive their future and establish them as leaders among their peers, and include: improved self-esteem, peer leadership skills, sustainable motivation and drive, paradigms that will help them discover and achieve their dreams, real world skills that will help them outperform their peers in the workplace, and an enviable network of movers and shakers that are all a part of the drive to create lasting positive change in the world.
- For a full list and explanation of our membership benefits please visit https://www.societyleadership.org/memberinfo/benefits
You can use this link to nominate our students to join the Champlain College Chapter of the National Society of Leadership and Success: https://champlaincollege.wufoo.com/forms/national-society-of-leadership-nomination-from/!
Please feel free to reach out to either of us if you have any further questions!
Dan O’Hara and Lisa Keller